Re: more language support

On 08 Feb 1999 23:41:15 +0900, Changwoo Ryu <cwryu@adam.kaist.ac.kr> said:
> Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> writes:
>> > (NINE floppies.  NINE floppies are required to install slink.
>> When I > installed 1.1, six floppies were required.  How many in
>> potato?)
>>
>> You only require nine floppies (ten 1.44 floppies using
>> boot-floppies_2.1.7, in fact) to install the base system if
>> installing everything from floppies (and don't try to count how
>> many you'll need to install anything more than the base
>> system). For any usual installation (from CD or from the net)
>> you'll need 2, 1 or 0 floppies, depending on the installation
>> method you choose.

> I have always installed Debians with the FTP method, to the machines
> which had not any OS.

Yes, well, I usually use NFS to install the base system.  There is no
'ftp' or 'http' method to install the base system.

The installation manual goes into these matters; you really oughta
read a newer installation manual, Ch. 5, "Methods for Installing
Debian".  As I point out in the intro to that chapter:

  As you initially install Debian, there are several steps that you
  shall undergo, in order:

    1.booting the installation system

    2.initial system configuration

Two floppies used for this part, local disk partition (favored method
for m68k), bootable CD, or TFTP network booting (Sparc only right now,
but it should be for all architectures soon).

    3.installing the base system

7 base floppies, local disk, NFS, or CD-ROM; for sparc, the system can
be installed to either a local disk or NFS-root partition.

    4.booting the newly installed base system

Probably wanna build a custom boot floppy for this

    5.installing the rest of the system

FTP/HTTP/NFS/CDROM/local disk

As you see, it's a pretty complex issue; you need to be more
fine-grained in your critique.

Mind you, we *like* critique of the Debian Installation System!
Enrique has identified that "hands off" installation is a major goal
for potato, to which I concur.  I would also like to see installation
of the base system from http, TFTP for all, and an automatic module
probing system (although this should really be handled at the kernel
level, I would suppose).  I think we probably also need a much better
system to provide better 'plug-in' kernel/modules sets and
integration, i.e., tecra, alpha architectures, etc.