busybox mount vs. external mount program (was: Re: more language support)

Steve Dunham wrote:

> 2.2.x issues follow:
> ====================
>
> BTW, there are going to be some issues with the 2.2.x kernels and the
> boot floppies.  The "mount.c" file cheats when mounting NFS
> partitions.  (It uses the kernel to do name resolution and set up the
> mount.)

I'm just remembering that boot-floppies doesn't use mount.c to mount an NFS
device.  It makes use of the external "mount" command provided by the mount
package (2.9g-6 for the latest boot-floppies).

> Apparently, the kernel no longer likes this - at the very least the
> server address has to be passed to the kernel via a special structure,
> and it looks like a root file handle is also needed.
>
> So, I've had to add some code to mount.c to get it to work with 2.2.x
> kernels.  (I took Red Hat's code - which is the same as the stuff from
> the mount program, and stripped out a bunch of fluff.  After this
> change the size of mount.o is:
>
>    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>    7500     152     612    8264    2048 mount.o
>
> I also need to pull in a couple of symbols from resolv (I add
> -Wl,-static -lresolv to the link command), because glibc doesn't like
> to do name resolution without the nss shared objects.  All told it
> adds about 10k or so to the size of busybox.

Ok, the question is now: is the mount (and umount) program from the mount
package required anymore ?  I guess they was included to provide a way to
mount/umount NFS partitions & CDROM.
We could free about *85KB* if we could get rid of them :-)) [1] but we need to
backport CDROM support to busybox first :-(

Any comments ?

[1] at least on sparc, mount + umount are about 95KB.