Re: more language support

On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 09:15:58PM +0900, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> writes:
>
> > > But the Red Hat installation floppies do that.  14 languages are
> > > supported in 5.2, without different disks for different languages.
> >
> > IIRC, RH uses two floppies, in the first one they have a small kernel and
> > the hardware detection tool, in the second one they have the installation
> > system and the languages. We have a huge kernel and the installation
> > system on the first floppy. If you think you can stuff 14 languages in
> > there, please, show me how. :-)
>
> No.  You should study the RH floppies more.  The prefered language is
> selected in the first floppy.  The tranlated messages are splitted
> into 3 pieces.  The first goes to the first floppy, the second to the
> second floppy, the other to the CDROM or FTP archive.

I'll try to do something similar for potato.

> Hmm..  I wonder why we should retain the current boot-floppies
> structure (rescue -> base system -> dselect).

What's your proposal?

> (NINE floppies.  NINE floppies are required to install slink.  When I
> installed 1.1, six floppies were required.  How many in potato?)

You only require nine floppies (ten 1.44 floppies using
boot-floppies_2.1.7, in fact) to install the base system if installing
everything from floppies (and don't try to count how many you'll need to
install anything more than the base system). For any usual installation
(from CD or from the net) you'll need 2, 1 or 0 floppies, depending on
the installation method you choose.

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es