Re: amiga 'native OS' install

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 00:08:50 -0800, Michael Schmitz <MSchmitz@lbl.gov> said:
> Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>> Can I get confirmation for the file used to unpack the native OS
>> install system on amiga?
>>
>> Michael previously wrote: > Amiga users will unpack install.lzh on
>> the AFFS partition (creates > debian/)
>>
>> Yet in dists/hamm/main/disks-m68k/current/amiga/ and in
>> master.debian.org:~schmitz/boot-floppies/ I see 'amigainstall.lha'.

> That's right; I'd have asked the installer to change the name to
> install.lzh or install.lha (whichever extension is recognized by the
> lha tool on Amiga). If the name is amigainstall.lha in hamm and in
> Franky's install guide we should stick to it.

Sticking.

>> Can I get the cannonical name?  (For Atari, too, if you know...)

> The Atari file needs to be renamed to install.lzh (8+3 name space
> :-( ...).

> Same thing with the resc1440<mach>.bin, drv1440<mach>.bin,
> root<mach>.bin and so on. We need to keep different names until
> after installation in the disks-m68k/current/ subdirectories. If
> anyone can come up with a nicer scheme, shoot. It's confusing.

No, that scheme is ok.  So, 'resc1440amiga.bin' gets installed as
'amiga/resc14440.bin' etc etc right?  I think that the alpha folks do
a similar thing.

> Anyway: the latest snapshot of the m68k boot floppies is in
> ~schmitz/boot-floppies/beta, complete with changes file (the files
> in there don't end on .2.1.4-m68k though the changes file uses these
> names; I didn't want to spend another half hour uploading). If I can
> get some positive test results I'd upload that stuff to Incoming and
> have it installed for those crazy ones out there willing to test.

> I've added the diff to vanilla 2.1.4 and a m68k-support.tar.gz
> containing the few things not in any Debian packages (Atari
> bootstrap and rawwrite added for convenience, can be taken from the
> atari-bootstrap package instead). The main Makefile has a section
> for creating the lzh format archives and a HFS floppy image, I've
> added a comment on getting the MacOS booter into the hybrid CD image
> as well. I've also added a package-m68k.sh script that does pretty
> much the same job as make release, if you just want to quickly
> repackage things from a built boot-floppies directory.  The diff
> should not be applied to the master CVS tree without removing the
> 'temporary-only-for-m68k' hacks such as the patches to master2files,
> master and PACKAGES_m68k. My /dev/console hack in rootdisk.sh might
> also not please the purist. But the rest _should_ be applied to make
> life easier for the next m68k boot floppies builder.

Ok, should we go ahead and do this?  If you know cvs, you can do it
yourself.  Cf my master.debian.org:~aph/cvswork/boot-floppies (local)
and va.debian.org:~aph/cvswork/boot-floppies (remote) for how to do
this.

Otherwise, say the word and I'll muddle through pulling out the
patches if you like.  If someone else could do it, it would be better
for me though, of course.  :)

> What's missing is install.doc files in the Atari and Mac packages
> (adapted from the m68k HTML install guides) and changelog
> entries. And, of course, doing it all over again with the latest
> packages. And again, and ...

Well you'll be pleased to know I've added all the info from Frank's
amiga install manual and some of your notes as well, except the
anti-lilo stuff, which is too much for me tonight.  So, amiga at least
should be good up until the 'configure networking' step (where I
collapsed from exhaustion).  I'd love for an Amiga use to critique up
until that point.  Again,
<URL:http://www.debian.org/~aph/boot-floppies/m68k/install.html>.
That should pick up tonights rev in about 2 hours.