Re: Live CD Images for Debian Blends

On Fr, 2022-06-17 08:07:21, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Am Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 01:49:39PM +0800 schrieb Paul Wise:
> > I note that Debian bookworm does not currently have live images at all,
> > so I would suggest that issue needs solving before blends live images,
> > you might want to discuss the issue on the debian-live mailing list.
> >
> > Once the issue is solved with the creation of a new live team, then
> > they might be willing to add additional live images for blends.
>
> I think Stefan's question was rather related to ITP #1012465 (since I
> pointed him to this list to discuss it here).   While I admit I like
> your idea to provide Blends live images at cdimage.debian.org (to at
> least have a workaround for bug #186085 which should enable installing
> Blends from the installer) Stefan has prepared some live system for
> Debian Jr in Salsa[1].  My idea was to not make this specific for
> Debian Jr. but rather make it configurable for any Blend and add this
> to blends-dev so all Blends can profit from this.
>
> [1] https://salsa.debian.org/debian-jr-team/debian-junior-live-system

Question: Should blends have a dedicated package (e.g.
debian-junior-live-system) or should the live CD included into
the blend package itself (e.g. debian-junior)?

There may some pros and cons for both options. I may prefer the
option of a dedicated package + provide a guideline and naming
convention in the blends documentation + some meta information
about the Live Systems in the blend project (part of the blend
framework).

 * The developer follows the blends guideline
 * The build system look into the blends projects
   * Checkout the live systems defined in the project
   * Build and deliver the artifacts
 * The package itself is just the description / configuration of
   the artifact, but not the artifact itself.

Why? We can manage those packages independently. The blend
package will hopefully be part of the Debian installer. The Live
Systems may just an additional artefact of the project. Let's
say, we build a live CD to try Debian Junior on a desktop and
build an image for Debian Junior on a mobile device. Those
projects can be in different states (from experimental to
stable). A bug may affects System X but not Y. The build system
itself may different.

If I didn't miss something, we are more flexible to manage
packages, when they are independent.

Would be nice to know if somebody has concerns about it.

Have blends on cdimage.debian.org would be a big benefit for the
Debian project. I'm not sure whether all images *must* be build
on the same way/tools. At least across the blends projects we
should try to have the same way.