Re: Live CD Images for Debian Blends

On Fri, 2022-06-17 at 08:07 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> I think Stefan's question was rather related to ITP #1012465 (since I
> pointed him to this list to discuss it here).   While I admit I like
> your idea to provide Blends live images at cdimage.debian.org (to at
> least have a workaround for bug #186085 which should enable installing
> Blends from the installer) Stefan has prepared some live system for
> Debian Jr in Salsa[1].  My idea was to not make this specific for
> Debian Jr. but rather make it configurable for any Blend and add this
> to blends-dev so all Blends can profit from this.

I see, thanks for the clarification. Looking at the salsa repo:

I note that it uses live-build, but that has not been used for Debian
Live images for many years, due to the objections of the Debian CD
team. The Debian Live images for bullseye used live-wrapper but that is
no longer a viable option due to upstream abandoning it in favour of
vmdb2 and then semi-abandoning that. Also live-wrapper does not support
Python 3. There are a number of different potential options for Debian
bookworm and several different groups of folks with their own ideas.

I'm also not sure using a custom login for blends live images is a good
idea, I think using the same login for all live images is better.

I think having a hard-coded list of packages instead of just installing
one of the metapackages will mean a lot more maintenance is needed.

Rather than including files in /home, would using /etc/skel and having
the initial user creation copy them over work?

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise