Re: Distinction between "BLEND" and "DERIVATIVE"

On 04/17/2019 02:11 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
Quoting Richard Owlett (2019-04-17 16:43:50)
[snip]

Then I will see just how small I can make a very-minimalist MATE
install. Initially it is unlikely to have more than Pluma, Caja,
Gparted, MATE Terminal, and an undefined subset of the Places and
System menus.

I will be heavily using apt-get's "--no-install-recommends" option
during my tests. All packages will be from official Debian
repositories.

Beware that generally ignoring package recommendations violates Debian
Policy, so if your system rely on that then it would not be a Debian
Blend, because then you derive from Debian as a core principle (not due
to some interim hack you want to get rid of in the long run).

I did a default install up to the point of specifying a GUI etc.
I used apt-get's "--no-install-recommends" option to install task-mate-desktop and a couple of specific packages. That gave me pretty close to what I wanted.

I've found running "apt-cache depends --recurse task-mate-desktop" very unsatisfactory for investigating what installs what on a standard install. I've an idea on how to put its output in usable format. In the meantime another project has reached a point that I'll spend most of my free time ion it.