Re: Distinction between "BLEND" and "DERIVATIVE"

Hi Richard,

Quoting Richard Owlett (2019-04-15 23:25:06)
> I have a mental image of an ideal Debian "thingy"
> Is my "thingy" a "blend" or "derivative"?
>
> My working definition is that *ALL* packages in "thingy" *SHALL* be in
> the then current "stable" repository.
>
> Debian vainly attempts to be all things to all persons all of the time.
>
> My goal is optimal solution for specific individual at a specific time.
>
> My constraint is that if one might want to convert "thingy" to current
> default, a less than "x line" bash script would be trivial.
>
> Where should I ask?

Taking the last thing first: Welcome. Seems you came to the right place!

If by "shall" you mean it better be but maybe not there yet (i.e. more
vague than "must") then as long as the ideal is not reached your thingy
is a derivative (it is derived from Debian) and it is also a Debian
Blend (it wants to be a subset of Debian but isn't yet).

If by "shall" you mean "must" - or when the ideal state is reached -
then your thingy is not a derivative (it is not derived) but is a Debian
Pure Blend.

...if I understand correctly what you were asking.

Care to elaborate more on what you want to create?  Is it only an idea
by now, or do you have something more concrete?  Are you set on what and
how you want it, or would you be interested in criticism and feedback?

Kind regards,

 - Jonas