Re: Distinction between "BLEND" and "DERIVATIVE"

On 04/15/2019 05:29 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
Hi Richard,

Quoting Richard Owlett (2019-04-15 23:25:06)
I have a mental image of an ideal Debian "thingy"
Is my "thingy" a "blend" or "derivative"?
[snip]
My constraint is that if one might want to convert "thingy" to current
default, a less than "x line" bash script would be trivial.

Where should I ask?

Taking the last thing first: Welcome. Seems you came to the right place!
[snip]

Care to elaborate more on what you want to create?  Is it only an idea
by now, or do you have something more concrete?  Are you set on what and
how you want it, or would you be interested in criticism and feedback?

Philosophically -- smaller *IS* better.
Debian has a tendency of trying to _simultaneously_ meet ALL needs of ALL people at ALL times. [For how "happy" that makes "everybody", look at Synaptic/Gnome/X/Wayland thread on debian-user.]

I believe there is a pervasive lack of appreciation of just how many specific "use cases" there are and their conflicting priorities.

During development my target audience will:
   1. be using a single machine.
   2. not act as server [likely will be client of LAN &/or internet].
   3. have no desires to have compilers or assemblers.
   4. will use scripting languages [Tcl/Tk meets my needs]
   5. will use a GUI DE [I prefer MATE]

First I will see just how small a command line only system I can create using preseed.cfg with the default installer. [how close to size of netinst.iso can I get?]

Then I will see just how small I can make a very-minimalist MATE install. Initially it is unlikely to have more than Pluma, Caja, Gparted, MATE Terminal, and an undefined subset of the Places and System menus.

I will be heavily using apt-get's "--no-install-recommends" option during my tests. All packages will be from official Debian repositories.

I've been casually reading this list for a long time. There has been discussion of how to integrate(ww?) choice of Blends into the standard install menu -- in the back of my mind I wonder if my approach would aid that? I just don't know enough.

I'm looking for a list where my goals would be on-topic, even if perhaps on the border. Is debian-blends appropriate?

TIA