Re: ArcheOS as a Debian pure Blend

Hi Luca,

Quoting Luca Bezzi (2019-04-06 15:24:16)
> I am not sure this is the right place to write, so I hope my mail will
> be not OT.

You are spot on,  Welcome!

> My name is Luca Bezzi and I am one of the developers of ArcheOS, a
> GNU/Linux based OS for archaeologists. The project started in 2005,
> with the first release, and with the 4th release we were able to
> switch to Debian and set up a small repository. Unfortunately in the
> last year we were no more able to proceed with the development, since
> most of our time is used in testing new FLOSS and developing new open
> hardware devices (and, of course, to work as archaeologists, that is
> our occupation). The problem is that maintaining a good repository,
> with source packages and all, is almost impossible for us now. This is
> the reason why I write here, after a brief discussion with Paul Wise,
> who suggested me the possibility to transform ArcheOS into a Debian
> Pure Blend. I think this would be a nice idea to keep the project
> alive. Our main problem is that we were able to start a good community
> of users (archaeologists), but we had too few feedback in development
> (almost just a couple of people). My question is: it would be possible
> to start an ArcheOS project as a Debian Pure Blend? In this case, what
> would be the first step? IMHO I could start reviewing ArcheOS software
> list and check which software is already packaged and what not.

Thanks to your providing info to the Debian Derivatives Census, some
comparison is already available at http://deriv.debian.net/ArcheOS/

>From a cursory look that dataset seems odd, however (e.g. listing at
http://deriv.debian.net/ArcheOS/diff_source_packages some versions of
archeos as same in Debian but I am unaware of that package existing in
Debian at all), so your pointing out some highlights of differences
would indeed be a good start, I think.

A next step could be to file "RFP" or "ITP" bugreports in Debian for
each of the packages in ArcheOS but missing from Debian, and filing
bugreports in Debian for each feature in each package existing in Debian
but where you found a need to change something for ArcheOS.

Adding a wiki page somewhere at https://wiki.debian.org/ would probably
be a good thing too - targeted those with time and interest in helping
out turning ArcheOS into a Debian Pure Blend, providing them with an
overview of tasks that involves - i.e. for starters add the bug numbers
for the bugreports mentioned above, and then extend from there with
suggestions on this mailinglist conversation :-)

> Nice greetings from Italy!

Greetings from Sweden (I live in Denmark, but will attend a bug
squashing party in Gothenburg tomorrow).

> If someone would like to have more info about ArcheOS, I can try to
> collect some articles about it. BTW we are using a blog to spread our
> Open Research in Archaeology: http://arc-team-open-research.blogspot.com/

See also https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/ArcheOS

 - Jonas