ArcheOS as a Debian pure Blend

Dear all,

I am not sure this is the right place to write, so I hope my mail will be not OT.

My name is Luca Bezzi and I am one of the developers of ArcheOS, a GNU/Linux based OS for archaeologists. The project started in 2005, with the first release, and with the 4th release we were able to switch to Debian and set up a small repository. Unfortunately in the last year we were no more able to proceed with the development, since most of our time is used in testing new FLOSS and developing new open hardware devices (and, of course, to work as archaeologists, that is our occupation). The problem is that maintaining a good repository, with source packages and all, is almost impossible for us now. This is the reason why I write here, after a brief discussion with Paul Wise, who suggested me the possibility to transform ArcheOS into a Debian Pure Blend. I think this would be a nice idea to keep the project alive. Our main problem is that we were able to start a good community of users (archaeologists), but we had too few feedback in development (almost just a couple of people). My question is: it would be possible to start an ArcheOS project as a Debian Pure Blend? In this case, what would be the first step? IMHO I could start reviewing ArcheOS software list and check which software is already packaged and what not.

Sorry for the long email. Any help is very appreciated.

Nice greetings from Italy!

PS

If someone would like to have more info about ArcheOS, I can try to collect some articles about it. BTW we are using a blog to spread our Open Research in Archaeology: http://arc-team-open-research.blogspot.com/

Have a nice day!