Re: What Maintainer for ezgo?

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Tille 於 2019/1/2 下午9:21 寫道:
> Hi Franklin,
>> I'd like to get the sources back to Debian ezgo git.  I have several
>> questions:
>>
>> 1. For some of the debian-ezgo packages, mostly the public domain
>> educational resources like PhET, contain big (compressed) files.  For
>> example, ezgo-phet contains a very big file (around 350MB) which is the
>> PhET Simulations offline version.  I won't commit it into debian git
>> anymore, but any suggestion to install it?
> I'm not sure what might be the question here.  My original question was
> the set of metapackages that results from the ezgo package source with
> the Blends tasks files.  I have no idea what PhET might be but it seems
> to be something that should be packaged as a separate source package.
> If it is for educational purposes it might sense to seek contact with
> debian-edu team.
>
>> 2. Do I have to remove everything in debian-ezgo repository and put the
>> newest code into it?  Or any better suggestions?
> I se no real reason to remove the old Git repository.  Why not cloning
> it and if you have diverged to much (which I hope will not happen in
> future to often) simply use one (or more) mass commits that make sense.
> Its hard to wild guess what might be the most sensible strategy since
> I have no idea what you want to commit.
>
>> After committing back you may evaluate if the packages are capable of
>> being a part of Debian.
> Yes.  But please distinguish between
>
>    1. Separate software with its own homepage that should be provided
>       as packages
>    2. The EzGO Blends package which is maintained by Debian.
>
> Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.

I've set up a temporary git repository.  Please see:

https://gitlab.com/franklin1/debian-ezgo-temp

It contains the contents which works in our current ezgo version.

As what I have said, there are three kinds of packages in this repository:

1. meta packages which will install more free software packages:
    * defined in tasks, and will generate ezgo-office, ezgo-graphics,
ezgo-multimedia, ezgo-network, ezgo-games, ezgo-education,
ezgo-accessories and ezgo-tasks
2. ezgo common packages, including public domain resources and packages
which would "fix" problems or add features to current software packages:
    * ezgo packages used by all system: ezgo-artwork, ezgo-gallery,
ezgo-menu (independent versioning)
    * public domain resources: ezgo-phet, ezgo-wordtest
    * fixing or adding features to current software: ezgo-misc-*
3. desktop environment setup:
    * ezgo-kde5, ezgo-lxde, ezgo-xfce
    * ezgo-gnome and ezgo-unity are dropped for now due to outdated and
lack of test

I've tested them on Debian Stretch.  I can now set up a Debian Stretch
with KDE Plasma desktop, then install ezgo-artwork, ezgo-kde5,
ezgo-menu, and necessary ezgo-misc / ezgo meta packages, to form a
(nearly) complete ezgo system.

My problems are that, some of them would need to modify files which were
installed by other packages.  For example, ezgo-misc-audacity moves
locales/zh/LC_MESSAGES/audacity.mo to zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/ so that zh_TW
translation could work.  AFAIK it violates Debian packaging rules but
such fix was necessary.  Another example is ezgo-lxde which would change
the file content in /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf.

Please have a look at this repository and let's discuss the next step to
upload these packages back to Debian.

Thanks, Franklin