Re: Accepted blends 0.6.101 (source) into experimental

Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 09:43:04AM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
>> Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:
>> >
>> > The usage of Recommends+Suggests was always permitted in 'classic'
>> > format.  The only difference between 1.0 and 1.1 is that in 1.1 it is
>> > permitted that Depends remain Depends while in 1.0 it was downgraded
>> > to Recommends in any case.
>>
>> So, Recommends were never downgraded to Suggests, resp. Depends and
>> Recommends were synonyms?
>
> Yes.  Depends and Recommends were synonyms.  The old code made sure that
> no Depends will remain in the resulting control file.  May be the term
> "Format" is not very well choosen since the format of the tasks files
> can not really be distinguished.  Its rather the *interpretation* of the
> file that has changed.  In 1.1 it is permitted that a Depends remains
> (and thus Recommends need to be specified explicitly).

"Format" should refer to syntax *and* semantic. So if we do an
incompatible change in how things are interpreted, we should give a new
version number.

And the old format allowed (at least factically) also to end lines with
a backslash, while the new format is in contrast strict Deb822.

> The only reason why I did a global s/Depends/Recommends/ in Debian Med
> is that it is now more explicit (the degraded Depends was confusing
> for some people).

You may now upgrade Debian Med tasks as well with the "-U" flag.

>>             for key, value in p.items():
>>                 if key == 'Recommends':   # This downgrades Recommends
>>                     key = 'Suggests'      # to Suggests
>  ... but only if the package is not available in the target
>  distribution.

The check for availability happens later (in the "fix_dependencies()" method).

> I'll test as soon as possible.  I can even test a commit before
> uploading if you confirm that this is your target for an upload.

I do the development in my personal salsa project:

https://salsa.debian.org/olebole/python-debian-blends

You can take out "blends.py" there and use it as blend-gen-tasks. Take
care since some flags are changed, and the tool directly writes the
files instead of dumping to stdout.

Cheers

Ole