Re: Blends pages, tasks pages etc.
Andreas Tille <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 02:12:35PM +0100, Ole Streicher wrote:
>> * Can I just somehow integrate the task list into my own web page?
> The task list is created from UDD. If you specify how *exactly* you
> want to include the list it should be easy to create a html snippet that
> would help you.
>> * Is it planned to get the individual tasks pages into the Debian/Blends
>> design? The current design is hmm, a bit ugly.
> The current design is templated in
> as genshi templates. I'm not specifically proud on the design and it is
> Free Software and you have commit permission. So feel free to change
> what you think should be changed. Please note that a push to this git
> will be automatically moved into production.
I would like to play around a bit with the xhtml and tasks.py
files... without first disturbing the production pages ofcourse.
Could you give some advise to to run this locally? For the UDD, I could
probably just take the "public" UDD, right?
I tried this, and just started an "python tasks.py astro", but this
completed without any output (and any visible change). I probably need
to set the output directory as well, what else?
> The goal did not involved the user interface (you mean the web layout,
> right?) Since this is templated in genshi templates it can be perfectly
> separated from the code and everybody is welcome to enhance this part.
I created a *very prelimiary* mockup (manually, as a HTML/CSS/JS
strawman) taking debian-astro as example :-) -- just to trigger some
1. Main/landing page
It includes some teasers (after thinking a while about alternatives, I
guess your [Andreas] solution with just marking them in the task lists
would be easiest); this would need a "logo" for f.e. astropy.
The "More..." link should go to the package description in the package
list of the blend (taken from Fedoras "labs" page).
Having four teasers looks optimal for me.
An alternative here would be to split into a Landing page and an "About"
page, as it is done for hamradio:
However I don't see a need for the split (they duplicate much of the
2. Tasks list
This is to be compared with the hamradio tasks list,
Specifically my table is much simpler: I don't see a need to specify the
task name *and* the metapackage name; they are quite similar. It there
it seems unclear what the difference between the "Metapackage" and the
"Catalogue" links are. I would just move the metapackage name to its
Compared to the original tasks list
the long descriptions are removed, since they seem to be not needed on
an overview page, and they often repeat the short descriptions anyway:
metapackage X in blend Y has short description "X for blend Y" and long
description "This metapackage install X for blend Y".
3. Package list
That is a rather short example (due to my lazyness), however it should
work for long lists as well. The original package list to compare is
I almost squeezed each entry into one line, which gives a nice
overview. Having only one version number here (the one from the stable
distribution) is to optimize for the (major?) use case that
non-developers are visiting us, and they are/should mainly be interested
in the current stable release.
For details, one can fold out each entry (shown on the first one,
eso-midas), and get additional info. I compared to the original, I
removed some special info (like the supported architectures, and
versions other the current stable and testing), since they can be found
in the links.
Optimally here would be to include more upstream links (from
d/u/metadata): Bug database, VCS repository, contact) -- are they
What is still completely missing on these mockups:
* Contact information page, Developer information page
* An easy navigation menu for the Blend. I am not sure whether the top
navigation can be used here or whether it should stay as global Debian
* A debian-astro logo.
These mopckup pages are creates with the general Debian CSS, without
much manual change; so probably some of the "uglyness" is now delegated
to be solved by the Debian CSS people :-)
I'd love to get some critics here even before I start to patch around in
the templates and tasks.py.