Re: Metapackages in "Section: metapackages" or not (Was: visibility of Debian Pure Blends)

Quoting Andreas Tille (2014-10-27 07:19:27)
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 10:06:50PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> Quoting Andreas Tille (2014-10-26 17:17:37)
>>> It is not mandatory by blends-dev.  [implementation details skipped]
>>> For me it becomes more and more evident that we need to discuss more
>>> on this list about needs of different Blends and how to correctly
>>> implement this.
>>
>> Well, one reason for lack of discussion in the past is that (as far
>> as I am aware) only one tool for creating blends have existed:
>> blends-dev.
>
> I see it differently.  I would have loved to discuss about features of
> blends-dev but the responses in the past tended to be zero.  Not even
> bug reports about features were filed.  So I try to "overhear" what
> might be needed and #720199 was the actual motivation to implement the
> feature to add "Section: metapackages".

I am not surprised that you are blind to the reason I bring up.

Or do you mean to say that you disagree that being a reason at all?
Feels odd to me if you argue that my reason for staying silent is not a
reason.  Perhaps you mean it is a reason you disapprove of?

>> Assuming you mean discussion (also) across tools, I look forward to
>> some friendly competition, now that boxer is finally in a reasonably
>> usable state (after 2 failed attempts, first one dating back to
>> February 2011).
>
> I admit I consider it a bit strange to anounce it that way.  In
> principle I'm not against competition but I think a hand full of
> people should be able to find a common solution.  Not to say that we
> had a GSoC last year to rewrite blends-dev and all people reading here
> should have noticed the discussion and could have suggested their
> wanted features.
>
> I'm not against "friendly competition" - but staying silent when the
> chance for cooperation is given comes quite unexpected to me.

You made a tool that works for you - and for others too.  That's great.

Would be wonderful with a single tool that fits all our varying needs,
but currently I don't feel at home with your tool, and don't feel it is
small adjustments but instead that I would need radical changes for the
tool to serve what I wanted from it.  I don't want to try tear apart
your tool when it works for existing users of it, and I don't even know
clearly what I want instead.

I have stayed silent because I had nothing constructive to contribute.

That might change now.  Time will tell.

 - Jonas