Metapackages in "Section: metapackages" or not (Was: visibility of Debian Pure Blends)

Hi Jonas,

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 02:49:24PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Paul Wise (2014-10-26 14:12:13)
> > All of the metapackages should have Section: metapackages, which you
> > can browse in aptitude but probably few other places. In particular
> > that isn't visible on the list of sections on the packages website
> > (#766875):
>
> For DebianParl and Debian Design I deliberately avoid tagging as
> metapackages: apt then don't flag as auto-installed (see
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove), and I want aptitude to do
> auto-removal when removing a blend package.

I think this was discussed in connection with Debian Edu and I agree
with you that there is probably not a single rule fitting all.  Yes, as
far as I understood, "Section: metapackages" means that flag
auto-installed is not set.  I personally consider it reasonable but I
agree that it does not provide to remove all dependencies in one rush
any more.

> I have not filed a bugreport since I don't know what is intended
> behaviour for metapackages.

This *is* the intended behaviour (at least if I understood things
correctly).

> You only say "metapackages" above.  I disagree if you suggest that it
> should be mandatory for blend packages to be tagged as metapackages (in
> the form they are currently handled).

It is not mandatory by blends-dev.  Currently you can escape this by
setting "Section: misc".  While I agree that this is pretty cryptic and
I guess not documented rather than in blends-dev changelog I'd happily
accept patches to get a better solution.  For me it becomes more and
more evident that we need to discuss more on this list about needs of
different Blends and how to correctly implement this.