Re: Is there a VERY minimalist "Pure Blend"

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 10:22:07PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> We are already building 63.2% of the archive reproducibly with a few
> patches to core tools and addition of our strip-nondeterminism tool.

That is a very beautiful number!

> If you have access to funding I expect that the Debian/etc people who

Been telling folks for over a year to do this... but I'm just
an activist.

> We are also working on automated bootstrap:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianBootstrap

That one sounds like still some work to be done... it mentions
Gentoo. In fact I was very impressed by Liberte' Linux which
you can git clone and make and it will produce an iso out of
gentoo portage.

> Of course even when we finish that effort you will still need an
> existing executable copy of some basic tools (compiler etc) to
> bootstrap Debian.

In the case of liberte it will use whatever system you are on
until it is ready to chroot into its own environment and
possibly recompile itself from the inside. I was impressed at
how it just ran through flawlessly. Also I was surprised at
the little amount of code I had to skim through before trying it,
since it mostly uses gentoo tools.

Maybe we should produce debian out of gentoo... :)

Thanks for the time to update.
Keep up the excellent work.

--
	    http://youbroketheinternet.org