Re: Is there a VERY minimalist "Pure Blend"

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 09:04:34PM +0000, JOSEFSSON Erik wrote:
> If this question makes sense, please keep my two colleagues in cc if you want to answer.

It took some context to get what this is about, but since
I am striving to be a politician I will answer anyway like
all good politicians do.

In my vision of the future there should be only one blend
for servers. One that contains Tor, GNUnet and I2P relay
node software - or whatever is the GNU Internet thing of
the time. Whereas all applications run end-to-end encrypted
on the devices owned by the users.

But I presume you are looking for something else.. a minimal
Linux. In that case I would pick a gentoo since it doesn't
take long to compile a minimal linux and you have the great
advantage of knowing who compiled the binaries you are
executing day-in day-out.

I find it somewhat discomforting that with debian I am expected
to trust the people that compile binaries for me, just like I
am expected to trust Google when I obtain a smartphone with
Android on it. There isn't all that much difference in the
trust modeling, and that is quite unhappy.

And no, I don't have the patience to wait for reproducible
compilation to someday be ready. I don't trust debian until
it gets its trust model fixed. I have no idea why TAILS builds
on top of debian.

Maybe I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.

Maybe there is indeed a way to produce a debian distribution
completely from source, completely automatically, and I just
haven't been shown yet.

--
	    http://youbroketheinternet.org
 ircs://psyced.org/youbroketheinternet