Re: Regarding Dominican Distro

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 12:09:25 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 4:52 AM, Franky Almonte wrote:
>
> > In a recent email talk with Andreas and Gunnar [1], regarding a new
> > project of Dominican Telecommunications Institute [2] to create a
> > national GNU/Linux distribution, we are not sure about create a
> > Blend or a Derivate. Andreas recommended us to come asking this
> > list.
>
> It sounds like you want to create a new distribution with a distinct
> Dominican identity instead of just using and contributing to Debian;
> what you are proposing is sounds like a derivative.

The institution (Indotel) that support this project wants a system with
it's own national identity. We just want to help make a good decision,
for the project and the community. We were not aware of the benefits of
create a Blend until some weeks ago, but don't want to lose the way to
our own distro without reinventing the wheel again.

> I would encourage you just use and contribute to Debian; that is, to
> create a pure blend or a blend instead of a derivative, some info
> about the difference is in this wiki page:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends
>
> It will be quicker to create a derivative but you have to duplicate
> some infrastructure and in the long term a blend will be more
> sustainable because you will have the assistance of the Debian
> community.

You're right. We would have to maintain some infrastructure.

> > The purpose of this project is to provide an operating platform
> > focused on education and household use for digital inclusion. The
> > motivation of our doubts comes due our inexperience to build and
> > maintain this kind of project.
>
> There is a Debian blend for education already (DebianEdu) and Debian
> is already suitable for household use in many instances.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu

Debian Edu would be a good starting point for us.

> > We were looking several projects like Huayra [3] and Canaima [4],
> > both based on Debian.
>
> These are both Debian derivatives, more info about Canaima here:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Canaima

We talked earlier to CNTI/Canaima friends looking for help on how to
create a derivate and investigated about their development process. But
like I said above, we don't want to reinvent the wheel again.

> I attempted to get the Huayra folks to join the Debian derivatives
> census but they haven't done that yet.

We can try to contact Javier Castrillo to ask him about this.

> > Based on our comments, what do you suggest?
>
> I've given my recommendations above, if you give some more details
> about your plans then we can give some better advice on how to do the
> specific things you want to do.

We will try to link other institutions to the project, like
the Ministry of Education to provide educational content. The project
is for 2 years and we want to survive long term by creating and
having it's community.

This project is part of a group of projects. This one will provide the
O.S. for 50,000 computers that will be assembled in the country. These
computers are the ones that the Government will facilitate for
education, household use and micro (and SMBs) companies of these
families. Also it will be supporting 211 technological centers, each
with 10 computers or so, for digital inclusion all around the country.
Indotel decided to use Free Software for these projects and to
create/build a Dominican distro to support them [0] (the name it is not
definitive).

[0] http://www.z101digital.com/app/article.aspx?id=126974 (in spanish)

--
Franky Almonte