Re: Regarding Dominican Distro

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 4:52 AM, Franky Almonte wrote:

> In a recent email talk with Andreas and Gunnar [1], regarding a new
> project of Dominican Telecommunications Institute [2] to create a
> national GNU/Linux distribution, we are not sure about create a Blend
> or a Derivate. Andreas recommended us to come asking this list.

It sounds like you want to create a new distribution with a distinct
Dominican identity instead of just using and contributing to Debian;
what you are proposing is sounds like a derivative.

I would encourage you just use and contribute to Debian; that is, to
create a pure blend or a blend instead of a derivative, some info
about the difference is in this wiki page:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends

It will be quicker to create a derivative but you have to duplicate
some infrastructure and in the long term a blend will be more
sustainable because you will have the assistance of the Debian
community.

> The purpose of this project is to provide an operating platform focused
> on education and household use for digital inclusion. The motivation of
> our doubts comes due our inexperience to build and maintain this kind
> of project.

There is a Debian blend for education already (DebianEdu) and Debian
is already suitable for household use in many instances.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu

> We were looking several projects like Huayra [3] and Canaima [4],
> both based on Debian.

These are both Debian derivatives, more info about Canaima here:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Canaima

I attempted to get the Huayra folks to join the Debian derivatives
census but they haven't done that yet.

> Based on our comments, what do you suggest?

I've given my recommendations above, if you give some more details
about your plans then we can give some better advice on how to do the
specific things you want to do.

--
bye,
pabs