Re: [GSoC] blends-gen-control hints (Was: blends-dev, gsoc 2013)

Hi Emmanouil,

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 08:17:10PM +0300, Emmanouil Kiagias wrote:

> > I builded the package, installed it, went to Debian Edu SVN and said `make
> > dist`.
> >
> > I really like the following output - but it is not fully correct (see my
> > remarks
> > starting with "  ! "
> >

> Note: the packages for which I print out warnings are missing "Depends"
> packages and they may not exist for the "testing" release but exists in
> other releases so they go into Suggests, or the might not exist at all (due
> to changed/updated name/package).
>
> The mplayer is a candidate for changed name because it is a missing
> packages from testing release:
>
>  select distinct p.package, r.role from packages p JOIN releases r ON
> p.release=r.release where package='mplayer';
>  package |   role
> ---------+-----------
>  mplayer | oldstable
>  mplayer | stable
>  mplayer | unstable

Ahhh - I was not aware of this, sorry.

> So mplayer goes into the candidates of "changed" name, that's why it
> appears into the warning messages. Also there is a replacement for this
> package which is found from the script like:
>
> select distinct package, replaces from packages where package='mplayer2';
>  package  | replaces
> ----------+----------
>  mplayer2 | mplayer
>
> If it makes more sense I can remove packages like above (packages which
> exist in other releases than the selected one) from the changed name
> candidates.

I think the script works sensible in this case.  So just leave the warning
as is.

> WARNING:__main__:"gdm" has been replaced with "gnome-control-center-data"
> >   ! Is this correct?  I've thought it is gdm3
> >

> Here is what gdm3 replaces and gdm is not among them:
>
>  select distinct package, replaces from packages where package='gdm3';
>  package |        replaces
> ---------+-------------------------
>  gdm3    |
>  gdm3    | fast-user-switch-applet
>

> But you can check the following:
>
> select distinct package, replaces from packages where
> package='gnome-control-center-data';
>
> (I do not dump the output of the query cause the result lines are very long)

So it is fine as well.  We are just trying our best to give
reasonable hints.  It is the Blends designers task to inject
the correct dependencies finally.

> > However, it continues with
> >
> > make[2]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/tillea/debian-maintain/repack/debian-edu/debian-edu'
> > make -f /usr/share/blends-dev/Makefile statusdump
> > make[2]: Entering directory
> > `/home/tillea/debian-maintain/repack/debian-edu/debian-edu'
> > make[2]: *** No rule to make target `dependency_data', needed by
> > `statusdump'.  Stop.
> > make[2]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/tillea/debian-maintain/repack/debian-edu/debian-edu'
> > make[1]: *** [statusdump] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/tillea/debian-maintain/repack/debian-edu/debian-edu'
> > make: *** [dist] Error 2
> >
> > Yes, (but now I see that there is no proper message explaining the error).
>  The statusdump target generates the json dependencies file for the latest
> release (which will be used to perform the changelog entry comparing with
> the previous)  and tries to store it into a "dependency_data" folder. The
> latter folder should hold all the json files for the Blends releases. So
> this folder must exist in a Blends directory.  Should I automatically
> create this folder in case it does not exist?

Yes.  I'd regard creating a needed directory the better solution than
just running into an error.

> PS: sorry again for the late answer

No problem.

Kind regards