Re: [GSoC] blends-gen-control hints (Was: blends-dev, gsoc 2013)

Hi Emmanouil,

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 01:34:10PM +0300, Emmanouil Kiagias wrote:
> > ('foo', 'bar') ;
> >  package | dependency
> > ---------+------------
> >  foo     | i
> >  bar     | s
> >
> > even if both should get a dependency 'd'.  Currently I issue error lines
> > into
> > the logfile.  Just check
> >
> >    grep -iw error blends_metadata_gatherer.log
> >
> > However, it seems to be clear that this logfile is rarely visited and so
> > I wonder what to do.  Should we check for the strongest possible
> > dependency?  Should we just accept what comes first (as we do now).
> >

> I got your point, you are right, when that happens it is a problem. To be
> honest I am not quite sure what is more *correct* in this case. Maybe
> storing the strongest possible dependency seems better but if a package
> appears in Depends and Suggests(or other cases) then there is no hint what
> is *better* cause basically is an error in the task files.

I also don't know what is "correct" - probably there is no right or
wrong here and we just need to watch the logfile from time to time and
fix the problem inside the tasks file or write bug reports.

> > Currently those cases are only in debian-edu and I will talk to the
> > debian-edu people at DebConf anyway, but I wanted to mention this
> > problem here.
> >
> Yeap that will be helpful, also thanks for mentioning because I did not
> think of that yesterday when we had the talk about the duplicates.

Same for me - I just realised when working on the code.

> > Perhaps we include an example of the problem below into Debian Fun task
> > to make sure we will not forget.
>
> I will add them.

Good

> > Once I was using the database including constraint the resulting taskdesc
> > files were OK.
> >
> :-)
>
> Also I just made a commit where I added Makefile and rules files in the
> project. For the moment I commented out the packages.txt/avoidpackages.txt
> from Makefile. I tried running "make dist" inside a blend and it seems to
> work(orig.tar.gz file is generated containing the needed control/taskdesc
> files). I generate a control file and a taskdesc.template. In the rules,
> for testing, I generate a taskdesc.<arch> from the template using the
> host's arch. This also seems to work. For local testing I have added custom
> local path into the Makefile/rules. Except from  Makefile/rules file what
> else we need at this moment?

Create the changelog entry of changed dependencies?

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de