Re: French translation of ???Debian Pure Blends???.

On 08:50 Wed 25 Aug     , Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 09:32:46AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > I am recommending ???assemblage pur Debian??? as the French translation for ???Debian
> > Pure Blends??? on the debian-l10n-french@l.d.o mailing list. I just would like to
> > double-check here if this translation is well accepted by the french speakers
> > who are not subscribed to debian-l10n-french. For wines, an ???assemblage??? is a
> > mixture of different years or varieties.
>
> I'm strongly against "translating" a noun (in the same manner as I would
> not address Charles as "Karl" in a German text).  As far as all my
> language education reaches nouns just will not be translated and doing
> so in this specific case would IMHO add a language barrier to the
> understanding of the Blends concept.  I just had this discussion with
> German translators and we agreed to use "Debian Pure Blends" (in quotes)
> and you might perhaps add the assemblage as an explanation in () - but
> please stick to this term to enable cross language communication.
> Imagine a French speaking user who only knows your translation and is
> refering in English text to "assembly" as his reverse translation ...

+1

I was wondering too if I had to make some translation when talking about "Debian
Pure Blends". But the answer is no from my point of view. I prefer keeping it in
english and do an explanation of what it is. And when people will see it
mentionned on website, ml etc.. they will notice about what it is about.

my 2 cents...

Greetings,
--
Xavier Oswald <xoswald@debian.org>