Re: New name: Call for opinions

Well, you asked for comments on the description. So here goes,

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 08:57:51AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> I have started three efforts to find a new name:
>
>  1. http://wiki.debian.org/CDDNamingProposals
>     --> gathered a lot of suggestions - but we do not have to INcrease
>         the number, we have to DEcrease the number to 1

Reading at "Thingy1" there, it seems to me that the definition bundles
together two things:

1. The produced distribution (The thing that is now called CDD)
2. The team that produces it.

Could you please try to explain to me what is the point in such an
effort? What does it include that I can't easily implement in a simple
extra preseed script for an installation media?

Furthermore, the more independent infrastructure this team has, the
closer it is to "Thingy2". A distribution that includes Stable and a
number of packages backported from Testing is clearly a Thingy2.

In short, I suspect that the bluring between the original and the
percieved meaning of CDD is also because when you have a team that has
its own goals and time tables, and its own infrastructure, it tends not
to be a strict subset of Debian.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com