Re: CDD Tool Proposal

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Sergio Talens-Oliag wrote:

 Well, the idea is that, if you use the metapackages, there will be no
 dependecies on Python, only on the system that uses the cdd-tool.
OK.

 Right now the idea is to be able to generate an apt repository (using
 metapackages or other systems like tasksel) or an installation system that
 can be used without Python at all.

 To be able to install without this building step Python will be needed, but
 I don't belive that this is a problem and if the system works OK it could be
 rewritten in C.
As there is obviousely a chance to go without Python (you mentioned above)
it is fine for me.  People who want extra functionality can go with extra
dependencies.  (Rewriting in C might not be necessary, IMHO.)

 I'll review it, as I said I have not used the menu system included on the
 current cdd-dev package, but I'm sure we will be able to find a way to
 support the current system.
Feel free to ask in case something remains unclear.

 As I've said, my idea is to use Python for the development system, but for a
 minimal CDD it can (and should) be avoided.
Fine.

 Great, I'll keep you informed, my idea is to start working on it as soon as
 possible, probably next week; I plan to go to the Canonical Conference this
Good luck for the conference.  I'd love to be there but it is impossible for
me this time.