Re: CDD Tool Proposal

El Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 01:25:23PM +0100, Andreas Tille va escriure:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Sergio Talens-Oliag wrote:
>
> > Initially I plan to start the development in one or two weeks, probably
> > using Python (I plan to share code with tools already on development, like
> > debpartial-mirror) and Shell scripts, but the idea is that the tool will
> > have a modular design and will accept modules written in other languages.
> While I personally prefere Python over Perl you should keep in mind that
> we definitely should not add extra Dependencies to the resulting DEB
> packages.

  Well, the idea is that, if you use the metapackages, there will be no
  dependecies on Python, only on the system that uses the cdd-tool.

> This was the reason to use Shell scripts only for cdd-common package.  I do
> not really mind about extra Build-Depends for building the cdd-tools package
> but adding an extra dependency for the results would probable make some
> people (not me because Python is installed at all my machines) unhappy.

  Right now the idea is to be able to generate an apt repository (using
  metapackages or other systems like tasksel) or an installation system that
  can be used without Python at all.

  To be able to install without this building step Python will be needed, but
  I don't belive that this is a problem and if the system works OK it could be
  rewritten in C.

> Comments to the Wiki:
>
> Control File Fields
>
>    Include
>      Very good idea which more or less should handle personal preferences.
>
>    Task-Menu
>      Please make sure that it is possible to provide menu overrides for
>      single packages in each single meta package as it is done in Debian-Med
>      (version 0.8.9)

  I'll review it, as I said I have not used the menu system included on the
  current cdd-dev package, but I'm sure we will be able to find a way to
  support the current system.

>    Base-Config and Base-Config-Menu
>      I do not really know this stuff but I guess this is needed for
>      installation, right?

  Yes, it is used to be able to customize the second stage of the
  debian-installer, if you look at the debian-edu packages (currently
  debian-edu-install) you will find a good example of how it can be used.

> The CDD Tool
>
>    As mentioned above if you plan to use cdd-tool for both, building the
>    meta packages *and* management of CDDs on the CDD-System an extra
>    dependency from Python would not really be in the interest of people who
>    want to build a "minimalistic" CDD.  Please check whether the extra
>    comfort of Python is worth making some people angry.

  As I've said, my idea is to use Python for the development system, but for a
  minimal CDD it can (and should) be avoided.

> In general I *really* like your plan and would be proud to be your first
> alpha tester.

  Great, I'll keep you informed, my idea is to start working on it as soon as
  possible, probably next week; I plan to go to the Canonical Conference this
  Saturday and maybe they have something interesting for this project (I've
  read that they have a system to build custom distributions, but I have not
  seen anything yet, and probably Mataró is THE place to ask).

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69