Re: CDD Tool Proposal

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 05:59, Sergio Talens-Oliag wrote:
>   Hello all,
>
>   I've written a document about the cdd-tool we were talking last Monday, it
>   is available on:
>
>     http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?CDDTool
>
>   I've thought about it and I have the feeling that is better to have a
>   modular tool designed from the ground up; the document describes the desired
>   features and is only a proposal, I would like to hear comments about it from
>   all of you and to know if it misses something that is needed by someone on
>   the list.
>
>   Initially I plan to start the development in one or two weeks, probably
>   using Python (I plan to share code with tools already on development, like
>   debpartial-mirror) and Shell scripts, but the idea is that the tool will
>   have a modular design and will accept modules written in other languages.
>
>   Greetings,
>
>     Sergio.

Hi Sergio,

Those are some really nice plans for a tool. You also summed up a great
deal of the recent dialog on the list. Well done! From the wiki I
noticed that most of the functionality for cdd-tool is similar in nature
to the functionality in apt. Would it be reasonable to make this tool
part of that apt suite and use the existing apt code to accomplish the
task? In the end I imagine a tool titled apt-cdd that would use the same
arguments as you have described in wiki. What do you think?

--
Matthew P McGuire <gray@shadowglade.net>