Re: Conflict between lam4-dev and mpi-doc

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 21:47 +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Bug 299198 against mpi-doc, an mpich binary, points out a conflict with
> > lam4-dev in a man page: /usr/share/man/man3/MPI_Comm_set_name.3.gz .  I
> > imagine there are lots of other such conflicts.  I don't know whether
> > the files are the same.
>
> I think there are two options:
>
> 1. provide both manual pages and make them alternatives' slave links
>
> 2. remove the respective file from lam-dev, add missing files to mpi-doc,
>    and make mpi-doc a reference to MPI spec.
>

> The case was to maintain 'mpi-doc' as a manual page for all
> MPI references, and thus the package name 'mpi-doc', and not 'mpich-doc',
> and IIRC former Debian maintainer of mpich (me) chose the option 2;
> which requires maintenance and coordination between lam and mpich packages.

Thanks Junichi.

I had been leaning toward option 2 also, since mpi-doc is generic and
not specific to mpich as you point out.

>From a diff between them, it looks like the lam documentation has a lot
of MPI-2 pages and information, making them somewhat different.

Camm, would you be open to splitting out the documentation into a
"mpi2-doc" or "lam-doc" package in order to resolve the conflict?

Thanks,

-Adam

http://www.take6.com/albums/greatesthits.html