Re: Just A Few Questions... (One massive Reply)

Thanks for the replies,

I've trying to avoid any kind of installation effort, but unfortunately I may have to use SystemImager or FAI.

Netboot doesnt seem to be an option -- a bunch of P1s on 10MB network doesnt sound like the ideal environment for that. Plus the sheer amount of config scares me away.

I'll find out tonight what I need to do though.

>I'd
>look for something know to work well and use that as your demo app if
>possible.

Thats my biggest battle right now, I need some good math software with at least a little basic calc abilities. Like I said, gui or none doesn't concern me, if it has no gui, i can prob. whip out a php script for an interface.

>if it's not on the internet and it's a closed system with trusted
>users pretty much everything is fair game, what were you thinking >of exporting?

Ya, its on an intranet, Im not too afraid of little a-holes like me trying to crash the system (lol).

my plan was to export all but the nec. (/bin,/sbin,/tmp,/etc)

>I've run some tests using fftw, but it really requires MPI as >well to work.  If you want something flashy, run one of the >POVRay benchmarks.
>(www.povray.org).  I have an MPI version I can send along and some scripts for testing...

That script would be awersome, thanks; As far as rendering, that may not be such a bad idea. I will run MPI is I need to, I just dont want to learn a new package to code a program. My terminalish coding knowledge is so limited. I really just know the basics of JAVA, C++, and Perl.

Perhaps even a passwd cracker would be adequate for demo.

>gridmathematica

That would be cool, but I live in Bismarck, ND; no store is going to selling software like that -- even if it did, I wouldnt be able to afford it. And i doubt ill find it on any P2P progs, wolfram has a heck of a license test.

Matlab v.5 looks nice, it works, and is on ebay; but i wont be able to get it a week (legally =P)

>So where did a HS student turn up 16 nodes?

They fell of the back of a truck (ha); no, I got them at an opportune time, the school is replacing all their systems and I just asked.

thanks
/collin