Re: Demo

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 05:14:51PM +0200, Heiko Bauke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I' locking for a nice demo program to demonstrate the power of
> beowulf computers. It should give some graphical output that's easy
> to understand for people who are not mathematician or physicists.
> Any idea? Rendering Mandelbrot sets is too easy.

 I've got a program that breaks up a grid into patches, and gives one patch
to each process.  Each process updates the value of each point from the
values of its neighbours, so they have to communicate about the values of
the points along the edges.  There's no gui or anything, but it steps
through some problem sizes, and prints out when it's done each patch size.
You can add some gui stuff if you want.  I used it as a benchmark for a
project about cluster computing in a comp. sci. class.  (I think my group
members took down the web page for it, but I'll see if I can get my hands on
the stuff we did, in case you want it.  We had graphs of time vs. patch size
for some different cluster setups, and some graphs for the same code on an
IBM SP.  (super-fast low latency interconnects:) ).

 If you're interested, sent me an email.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y