Re: PHP 7.2 support in backports

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018, Holger Levsen wrote:

> users, from a users perspective having things on backports.org is
> usually much better than having to fetch things from yet another repo.

That, plus backports have well-defined rules and nice ftpmasters
kicking DDs who don’t get them their arses if necessary, so, even
if not mistrusting a particular package maintainer in Debian itself,
an official repo is more trustworthy from a user’s PoV.

I know I had the occasional (thankfully only minor) fuckup in my
personal repository, and that packages once uploaded to Debian
proper got more QA (things like piuparts and builds on more
architectures and more eyes in general) so… no blame, just a
neutral-intended observation.

Another thing is that backports has a known scope. I don’t know
the scope of Ondřej’s repo. I had looked at it as a way of getting
PHP 5 on stretch and 7 on jessie for a transitioning period, but
it looked to contain _much_ more than PHP, so I didn’t use it.
(In the end I was able to eliminate the need for that transitioning,
so I don’t need it any more; the observation from back then is
valid, though.)

Perhaps this answers some people’s musings about the “why”.

I also have one package I’d have loved to get into jessie-sloppy,
but which wasn’t possible due to the rules. It’s possible to just
install the .deb from stretch-backports or buster/sid, but some
people won’t do that, so I found a way to make things work, in a
degraded mode, without that package, and everything is well (and
the users tell me they’re happy).

bye,
//mirabilos
--