Re: PHP 7.2 support in backports

Hi Rhonda,

this was this thread: https://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/2013/12/msg00057.html

It left me with bitter feeling, but well, and after re-reading parts of the thread I was a guilty party back then for escalating the thing.

That said - PHP 7.0 will be supported in Debian stable as the previous versions of PHP have been - security patches will be backported to Debian stable.  This has been always the case with Debian.

Backporting just src:php7.3 (really it’s PHP 7.3) would never be enough.  People would immediately require redis, memcached, apcu extensions at least, meaning that src:php-defaults would need to be tweaked and have it uploaded to stretch-backports, then php-<foo> packages would have to be backported, …

Frankly, the infrastructure I do have in place for Debian-PPA-like archives just fine - I can probably get ‘php.debian.net’ address to make it more “official”, but honestly I will have to take care of PHP 7.0 security updates and having one more place to download just one PHP versions just adds more burden on my shoulders.

Cheers,
Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý