Re: Adding python3-typing binary package (Was: ruamel.yaml backport)

Adrian Bunk:
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 09:17:38PM +0200, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>

>> Adrian Bunk:
>>>
>>> There is another solution (that was already proposed in this thread):
>>> Drop the non-working python3-ruamel.yaml package from the ruamel.yaml
>>> backport.
>>>
>>> The python3-ruamel.yaml backport apparently never worked,
>>> so there's not any real loss.
>>>
>>> And this avoids all kinds of problems like for example:
>>>   Looking at the diff you proposed for python-typing, what happens
>>>   when a user with python3-typing installed upgrades to stretch?
>>>
>>> There's a whole new class of bugs that is possible when adding
>>> non-backported packages to backports.
>>
>> That would be the opposite of a solution for us, since we only need
>> python3-ruamel.yaml, not python-ruamel.yaml.
>
> Unfortunately the solution that is best for Debian backports might not
> be a solution that solves your problem.
>
> But you can use the python3-ruamel.yaml package currently in backports
> together with a python3-typing package you build yourself based on the
> diff you proposed in this discussion.

What you propose is not solving any problem for users, so please do not
call this a solution.  And in this case, removing a semi-working package
makes things worse for users, since the library does work in some cases.

What you are really talking about is you think the backports team should
not support fixing this.

.hc