Re: Adding python3-typing binary package (Was: ruamel.yaml backport)

Andreas Tille:
> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 03:24:13PM +0200, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>>
>>> Please discuss it here at debian-backports with the maintainers.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean.  You are listed as the maintainer of
>> python-typing in jessie-backports, and we're talking about this on this
>> list.
>
> I'm just a maintainer - but if there are changes in binary packages
> ftpmaster needs to accept this.  I'm *not* in the position to do this,
> sorry.  Just wait until the responsible person might raise an optinion.

I'm fortunate to live in the same city as Rhonda, so I could discuss
this in person :)  Here's the overview of the issue:

* python 2.x and 3.x are two maintained variants of the Python language

* the standard Debian naming for this is 'python' for Python 2.x and
  'python3' for Python 3.x

* ruamel.yaml is in jessie-backports, and provides python-ruamel.yaml
  and python3-ruamel.yaml

* ruamel.yaml depends on the Python library 'typing'

* python-ruamel.yaml works fine in jessie-backports

* python3-ruamel.yaml in jessie-backports fails on missing 'typing' lib,

* 'typing' is included in Python 3.5 or newer

* src:python-typing is this system library 'typing' ported to python 2.x
  and python3 < 3.5

* stretch has python3 >= 3.5, it does not need the python3-typing port

* jessie has python3 3.4, so it does need python3-typing

Therefore, the only way to solve this in jessie-backports is to add
changes to debian/rules and debian/control on top of stretch's
src:python-typing  to build python3-typing.  So jessie-backports would
have binary python3-typing, but stretch and future releases never will.

.hc