Re: how to get a bug in backports fixed?

On 05/19/17 08:08, Dominic Benson wrote:

> The message is typically that backports is not the right place to fix bugs *in the stable distribution it relates to*, rather than that backports which are themselves buggy should not be fixed.
>
> Notwithstanding recent discussions on this list about changing bug handling for backports, I believe this is still the place to report issues where either the bug is introduced by the backporting itself, or has been fixed in a newer non-bpo package.
>
> If the bug affects the current package in one of the non-bpo dists then it should be reported against that package in the main bug tracker.

I think there is a misunderstanding here: If you file a bug
report about a package in stable, then this doesn't mean it
gets fixed. Sometimes you have to wait, sometimes its not
fixed at all. Sometimes it is fixed only in unstable and
promoted to testing.

Waiting for the fix in stable you see the shiny new version
N+3 in Testing, and somebody created a backport. You need to
have a fix, so what would you do?

Obviously backports *is* a place to fix bugs. Sometimes its
the last resort for Debian users left alone with their bugs
in stable.

Its just not the place to resolve bug reports.

Regards
Harri