Re: Backports bugs in the BTS

On 8 May 2017 at 14:23, Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de> wrote:
>> > Version tracking allows easy tracking of issues in the BTS,
>> > but for being effective this cannot be a per-maintainer choice.
>> >
>> > None of the above requires that the BTS knows anything about backports.
>>
>> If it's a backports-specific bug, then yes, you should have the permission of
>> the maintainer (who may not even be the backporter of course) - the
>> instructions for reporting bugs specifically state "Please report bugs that you
>> found in the packages to the backports mailing list and NOT to the Debian
>> BTS!"[1], so that must be your default course of action.
>>
>> (Just because I said the above does not mean I agree with the policy)
> We had this in the past and maintainers of such packages were against it.

Yeah, but tracking a bug outside the BTS makes no sense.
Sometimes tracking/dealing with a bug is hard already. Not having a
bug tracking system is not wise in my opinion.

What is the reason for maintainers to be against it? BTS pollution?
I don't see any problem here if the bug is well annotated to be only
for backports.

I feel it convenient to review decisions from time to time.