Re: log4cpp backport wrongly uses v5 in package name, breaks stuff

On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 06:17:31PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> On 07/05/17 11:24, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > just noticed that log4cpp backport contains liblog4cpp5v5
> > - this is wrong, jessie does not use the new ABI.
> >
> > This breaks installation of some packages (#860147) and
> > breaks upgrades to stretch where the ABI of the library
> > changed - because the package name no longer changes.
> >
> > The package needs to be re-uploaded with the proper name
> > and all reverse dependencies rebuilt.
>
> Can you please be more specific about:
>
> a) how to build the version that should be uploaded, e.g. exactly which
> upstream version or orig.tar.gz it should be built from?
>
> b) how to name the upload?
>
> c) what tests would you recommend, if any, for the newly built package?

You need to drop the "v5" from the binary package name (rename "liblog4cpp5v5"
back to "liblog4cpp5"). That's all there is to do here.

This does not really help anyone wanting to upgrade from jessie-backports to
stretch, but it's better than staying broken. I'm not sure what/if somebody
wants to do something about upgrades, that probably involves a transition
from liblog4cpp5v5 to liblog4cpp5v5<something> in unstable/testing. Maybe
talk to release team and see what they want for that.

> Should this be tracked in the existing bug report or a new bug report
> against this package?

If at all in the existing bug report, but usually bug reports for
backports are supposed to be handled on the mailing list.

--
Debian Developer - deb.li/jak | jak-linux.org - free software dev
                  |  Ubuntu Core Developer |