Backports bugs in the BTS

On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 10:12:29AM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 07:07:26PM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > If at all in the existing bug report, but usually bug reports for
> > backports are supposed to be handled on the mailing list.
>
> well, thats the default (which I disagree with / object to, but thats another
> story) but it's totally ok to file bugs in the BTS for a package as
> *as long as the packages maintainers are fine with that*.

You don't need the permission of the maintainer to file a bug.

And users do report such issues as bugs, e.g. this botched backport was
discovered when searching for the root cause of #860147.

> I do it for my packages all the time / whenever suitable. I like the BTS
> and being able to properly track bugs. A mailinglist is a sink.

Being able to track bugs is not the same as actually doing tracking.

I ran into #860147 when going through the RC bugs that do according to
the version tracking information not apply to unstable.

Looking at all bugs, this is actually not that uncommon:

udd=> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM bugs_found_in WHERE version LIKE '%~bpo%' AND
NOT (id IN (SELECT id FROM bugs_found_in WHERE version NOT LIKE
'%~bpo%')) AND NOT (id IN (SELECT id FROM bugs WHERE status = 'done'));
 count
-------
   453

In other words, there are currently 453 open bugs in the BTS reported
against backports and not marked as found in any non-backport version.

For RC bugs it actually matters that the non-bpo version has to be added
as found if the bug is not only in the backport - otherwise the bug
doesn't show up in RC bugs lists.

And after marking all bugs that are not specific to the backport as
found in the non-bpo version, the query would only show broken backports
like #860147 or #854610.

Version tracking allows easy tracking of issues in the BTS,
but for being effective this cannot be a per-maintainer choice.

None of the above requires that the BTS knows anything about backports.

> cheers,
> 	Holger

cu
Adrian