Re: inkscape not installable from jessie-backports (depends libgsl10ldbl)

Hi,

On 30/03/17 13:13, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 07:09:12AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>> Because it is both common and recommended best practice in _unstable_ for
>> which we as maintainers upload packages. Everything there gets recompiled so
>> libgsl2 it is.
>
> No, it's definitely not.
>
> Since I think ever the recommended prectise is to use Breaks+Replaces,
> that will allow coinstallability of the dependencies, and also makes the
> transition much smoother as Britney will allow both the old and new
> packages to be in testing at same time, therefor making everybody's life
> easier in the case some packages fail to build with the new version of
> the library.

The correct practice is to rename the package and add no relationships.
If the SONAME of a library changes then there are no file conflicts and
the libraries can be co-installed just fine. Using Breaks+Replaces is
better than Conflicts, but that won't help co-installability.

Unfortunately it's not that easy for gsl because both libgsl0ldbl and
libgsl2 ship libgslcblas.so.0 so they cannot be co-installed. The
correct solution would be to move libgslcblas.so.0 into a separate
package so that at least libgsl2 wouldn't need to conflict with
libgsl0ldbl. However, that may require a transition if there are any
users of libgslcblas in the archive.

Incidentally, I think policy 8.1 prohibits doing what libgsl2 currently
does (2 libraries in a single package with differently changing SONAMEs).

James