Re: inkscape not installable from jessie-backports (depends libgsl10ldbl)

On 30 March 2017 at 09:48, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:

| >> yes, inkscape is built against the old library, so if you need them both...
| >> you have to choose the old or the new one
| >> (why runtime libraries needs to conflict each other is unknown to me)
| >
| >The only reason to conflict is when there are file conflicts.  Every
| >other use including doing it to force the old package to be removed,
| >it's downright bad.
|
| >> maybe you can ask the maintainer to remove such conflict field
| >
| >Please do it.
|

| here we are
| >It probably should be a Breaks instead of a  Conflicts (alas, I kinda
| >feel this is a change which might have unforeseen consequences and is
| >not totally nice to do it during the freeze).
|

| https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/libgsl2/filelist
|
| anothe reason for a conflict is that having them both confuses userspace
| (e.g. python bindings, or some tools)
|
| Dirk, do you have a particular reason for not allowing both libraries to
| cohexist?

Because it is both common and recommended best practice in _unstable_ for
which we as maintainers upload packages. Everything there gets recompiled so
libgsl2 it is.

Here, for the backport, you may want to relax the restriction _for the
backport only_ so maybe talk to whoever helped with the backport.

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org