Re: inkscape not installable from jessie-backports (depends libgsl10ldbl)

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 08:03:11AM +0000, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> >Actually, I can't even install inkscape from jessie proper. It appears
> >to be that since gsl2 came into backports (pulled in by another backport
> >I have installed that was built against it) and libgsl2 conflicts with
> >libgsl0ldbl, this problem shows up.
>
> yes, inkscape is built against the old library, so if you need them both...
> you have to choose the old or the new one
> (why runtime libraries needs to conflict each other is unknown to me)

The only reason to conflict is when there are file conflicts.  Every
other use including doing it to force the old package to be removed,
it's downright bad.

> maybe you can ask the maintainer to remove such conflict field

Please do it.

It probably should be a Breaks instead of a  Conflicts (alas, I kinda
feel this is a change which might have unforeseen consequences and is
not totally nice to do it during the freeze).

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :