Re: Uploading all of OpenStack Liberty to jessie-backports: need advice

On 11/22/2015 02:39 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-11-22 at 14:30 +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> On 11/22/2015 12:12 PM, Micha Lenk wrote:
>>> Hi Thomas,
>>>
>>> I am by no means a BPO FTP master, so please do not consider my answer
>>> authoritative by any means.
>>>
>>> This sounds like a huge amount of work, not only on your side but also
>>> on the side of backports FTP master. So may I ask you to provide more
>>> information about your motivation for using backports for this plan?
>>
>> The stable releases are what most users want to use OpenStack. Sid /
>> Testing is too disruptive for a production environment. The Icehouse
>> version in Stable is too old, and has lost support from upstream nearly
>> a year ago.
> [...]
>
> So why was it ever considered suitable for a stable release?
>
> Ben.

I wrote "most" users, that's probably not all. Also, I am actively
working on backporting security fixes by myself. Swift for example, has
just been accepted to proposed-updates today. Glance will follow (I just
need to make sure that I understood well that Julien gave his go-ahead:
the package is ready). Next up is Nova.

If there was something deserving a DSA, I would try to make the update
ASAP as well.

I did a poor with security support for Wheezy, I hope I'll do better for
Jessie. So far so good.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)