Re: [Ceph-maintainers] Updated ceph backport

Gregory Farnum <greg@inktank.com> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 1:50 AM, Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@debian.org> wrote:
>> As google-perftools are optional for ceph, the best fix for this is
>> probably to remove the dependency in the backport for the architectures
>> not supported in wheezy. This simple patch would probably do it (not
>> tested):
>
> FYI, this is probably not the most desirable solution. The main thing
> we use gperftools for is the tcmalloc memory allocator; the default
> malloc tends to have serious memory fragmentation problems under our
> workload.
> Not that it won't work, but virtual memory allocations measured in
> tens of gigabytes are not unheard-of (versus application-allocated
> memory of a few hundred megabytes). I imagine suboptimal malloc is
> preferable to not having the Ceph packages, but having the perftools
> packages is even better. :)

I guess that the ceph package on these architectures is mostly used
because it also builds the librbd package. It's mostly a question of
having librbd available to be able to build qemu with rbd backend
support. Is this also a concern in this case?

Gaudenz