Re: backports dist-upgrade issue (udev breaks consolekit)

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 01:02:42 +0100
Jens Schüßler <jgs@trash.net> wrote:

> * Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Olivier Langella <olivier.langella@moulon.inra.fr> writes:
> > > I am using Debian stable with wheezy-backports and I had a
> > > dist-upgrade issue today.
> > [...]
> > >  udev : Breaks: consolekit (< 0.4.6-1) but 0.4.5-3.1 is installed.
> > [...]
> > > Several people in my lab had also this problem and some were in
> > > serious trouble because they've lost their desktop.
> > > Does someone has noticed this issue somewhere else ?
> > > What can I do to help this to be resolved ?
> >
> > As you mention dist-upgrade I wonder: did you configure APT to upgrade
> > all packages to the version in wheezy-backports? By default you should
> > only get packages from there if you explicitly specify that you want to
> > use the backports distribution for it.
> >
> > So udev should not get upgraded to 204-7~bpo70+1 by default.
>
> That's what I also suspect, something wrong with the pinning.
> A normal at-get/aptitude dist-upgrade here never want to install the udev
> from backports. Beside the fact that safe-upgrade and full-upgrade are
> the recommended command options nowadays.
> I can only reproduce this whole behaviour here, if I do a explicit
> 'aptitude -t wheezy-backports install udev -s'.
>
> Jens
Thank you all for these explanations,

Indeed, I have explicitly set a high priority to the backports :

Package: *
Pin: release a=wheezy-backports
Pin-Priority: 900

Sorry, it's a very important information and I forgot to add it in my mail.

The idea was to automatically get newer versions of libreoffice for example when it is available...
I understand this is quite risky. I do not expect a system as stable as
the Debian stable branch, but I thought that for a desktop use, their
were few risk to lose too much important packages (as Alexander Wirt mentioned in a later mail).

Thank you also for this tip :
>  Beside the fact that safe-upgrade and full-upgrade are
> the recommended command options nowadays.
I was not aware of this.

Thanks again for those good advices,

Olivier