Re: backports dist-upgrade issue (udev breaks consolekit)

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:
> >> So udev should not get upgraded to 204-7~bpo70+1 by default.
> >
> > This does not absolve you of responsibility as backporter.  You should
> > not upload packages to wheezy-backports with versioned depends/breaks/
> > conflicts that can't be satisfied by packages in wheezy or
> > wheezy-backports.
>
> Well, it works fine if one doesn't have consolekit installed (I don't
> where I use this package). I'm also mostly interested in systemd, udev
> only comes as an extra. In general I don't think one can expect packages
> from backports to work in all combinations (though udev is probably more
> problematic by being installed by default).
consolekit and udev is not really an unusual combination. And for packages
like udev: yes, I expect tests with most combinations (which means at least
standard installation with gnome (that brings in console-kit)). Otherwise I
will reject those problematic packages in the future.

Alex