Re: Backporting of cython - sent to the backports list this time

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
> If we upload pyzmq now, it simply can't get built for the other
> architectures, and it'll generate work and effort for the buildd
> maintainers. It's possible to do, but there's no real benefit. Let's
> just wait and do one thing at a time.

Ok.

> But obviously, you can work on
> the pyzmq backport now that cython and zeromq3 exist. Maybe I should
> make the .debs available, which I uploaded.

I don't think there is any benefit here, I've already prepared pyzmq -
I just hosted the dependencies locally to do so.

I've put my notes on the backporting below, the key issue is removing
support for python2.5 and 3.1 (which is actually the only python3 in
squeeze) from squeeze due to a construct used in the code. I thought
it could be possible to patch the code, but it would not be that
valuable an exercise.

The wheezy backport was trivial.

Looks like just a waiting game at this point.

Thanks again,

Joe

* Squeeze

Version: 13.1.0-1~bpo60+1

- Removed support for python3.1 and python2.5 as the code used a
  construct not compatible with either:

  try:
  except Exception as e:

  It is probably possible to patch around this, but it is unlikely to
  be a useful exercise.

Changes required to:
- debian/changelog
- debian/rules