Re: Install dependencies automatically from backports.

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:53:24AM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> * Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> [2012-04-24 08:51:48 CEST]:
> > * dE . <de.techno@gmail.com> [2012-04-24 05:23:48 CEST]:
> > > # not working
> > > Package: *
> > > Pin: release o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages
> > > Pin-Priority: -100
> > >
> > > Also another question which someone may like to answer is -- why am
> > > I not able to disable the Debian multimedia repository with the
> > > above preferences?
> >
> >  I'm uncertain how the parsing works, especially with respect to
> > whitespace in the Origin line and if it might require quotes, but what
> > stands out is your usage of a Pin-Priority of -100.  Have you actually
> > read the manpage of apt_preferences?
>
>  ... seems like I haven't read it myself properly %-)  So if you give
> packages from d-m.o a negative priority, how would you want to install
> packages from there then?  They will get removed again next time, won't
> they?

They won't be removed, they will just not be upgraded and not considered
to fulfil dependencies of other packages.

One problem with the OP's pinning is probably that the order is the
wrong way around. Downpinning should happen first in the file, otherwise
things don't work (AFAICT). If I am not mistaken, the manual pages could
be wrong there, I could take a look at that later.

In any case, our pinning implementation in APT is not really understandable
or easily predictable for anyone. And slightly buggy in some corner cases
IIRC.

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.