Re: Install dependencies automatically from backports.

Hi there

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:23 PM, dE . <de.techno@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if apt can be configured to install the required
> dependencies from backports automatically, if the dependencies can't be
> fulfilled from the stable repository.
>
> This's pretty common with Debian multimedia packages which require packages
> from backports.
>
> Notice, by default apt should not prefer installing from backports if the
> required dependency can be fulfilled without using it.
>
> This's my current /etc/apt/preferences -
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 989
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=squeeze-backports
> Pin-Priority: 499
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 99
>
> # not working
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages
> Pin-Priority: -100
>
> Also another question which someone may like to answer is -- why am I not
> able to disable the Debian multimedia repository with the above preferences?

I had this same problem not long ago and finally found an answer. This
is my apt preferences file:

$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=stable
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=stable-updates
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release a=squeeze-backports
Pin-Priority: 200

Package: *
Pin: origin "www.debian-multimedia.org"
Pin-Priority: 190

Package: *
Pin: origin "http://mozilla.debian.net";
Pin-Priority: 200

The key part for you are declaring the squeeze-backports and the
debian multimedia repos as I showed.  This ensures squeeze-backports
takes precedence, but also packages installed from either repo will be
upgraded (when they get upgraded).

Hope this helps

Andres