Re: Backporting packages with different naming schemas in stable/testing

Hey,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:54:53PM +0100, Nick Leverton wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:04:15PM +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> > […]
> >   Rename package libghc-csv-dev to libghc6-csv-dev
> >   Provide dummy package libghc-csv-dev for upgrades
> >   When upgrading squeeze → wheezy, remove libghc6-csv-dev
>
> Conflicts: and Replaces: would be the normal way of doing that, of course.
> However, in the bpo case you probably want to keep the 6-dev package
> around to satisfy build-deps of existing Squeeze packages.  Is that the
> problem you have ?
>
> If so, which package is doing the Conflict with libghc6-csv-dev in
> wheezy ?  The haskell-dummy package or (as I would probably do it)
> the new -dev one ?  In either case, just stop it from doing that, so
> that both libghc-csv-dev and libghc6-csv-dev will remain installed.
> Make 6-dev also a dummy package that calls in the new -dev, or vice versa.

I was trying to avoid modifying anything in unstable/testing, but I
don't think it is possible, so I'll probably just add csv to
haskell-dummy in unstable and then the rename will work fine
(essentially undoing the libghc6 → libghc naming transition).

Thanks,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@debian.org ]