Re: Backporting packages with different naming schemas in stable/testing

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:04:15PM +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 06:10:42PM +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> > […]
> > However, nothing will cause the removal of libghc6-csv-dev on upgrade.
> > The dummy package could declare an appropriate >> Conflicts on
> > libghc6-csv-dev, though. Would that work?
>
> I just tried to do the backport. I have no idea what I meant by this
> paragraph. I don't see how the backport can cause the renamed package to
> be removed. Do you?

I guessed at the time that you were comparing with the way that a normal
upgrade to wheezy should remove the old packages, no ?

>   Rename package libghc-csv-dev to libghc6-csv-dev
>   Provide dummy package libghc-csv-dev for upgrades
>   When upgrading squeeze → wheezy, remove libghc6-csv-dev

Conflicts: and Replaces: would be the normal way of doing that, of course.
However, in the bpo case you probably want to keep the 6-dev package
around to satisfy build-deps of existing Squeeze packages.  Is that the
problem you have ?

If so, which package is doing the Conflict with libghc6-csv-dev in
wheezy ?  The haskell-dummy package or (as I would probably do it)
the new -dev one ?  In either case, just stop it from doing that, so
that both libghc-csv-dev and libghc6-csv-dev will remain installed.
Make 6-dev also a dummy package that calls in the new -dev, or vice versa.

Apols if I've gone off on the wrong track, but I think this should work,

Nick